Head of Operations – Age Concern Colchester & North East Essex
Posted on: January 3, 2022
Overview for Head of Operations
Age Well East (formerly Age Concern Colchester & North-East Essex – current rebrand running) has gone through exponential growth. Since 2017 the focus has increased from Colchester to North-East Essex and now across Essex and Suffolk. This growth is driven by unmet needs and this growth requires strengthening with a Head of Operations within the senior leadership team to maintain the current operation and manage future growth. The Head of Support Services, Head of Operations and CEO form the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and complement the established base of Operations Managers, Team Leaders and the frontline staff that underpin excellent operational delivery.
The Head of Operations will grow an established operations unit to develop first-class frontline services that change lives. A key element of this role is maintaining existing operations, embedding recent contract wins for April 2022 and then developing services based on new major contract wins.
The organisation, due to high growth, will have direct reports, team leaders and operations managers reporting in. Over time, and as the department and income settle, this will restructure to a more traditional structure of operations managers reporting lines. Therefore the right individual will be comfortable managing at different levels until the full structure is in place.
Role for Head of Operations
- Strategic Leadership as part of a close-knit SLT
- Stakeholder Management; commissioners, NHS, Local Government
- Developing a high calibre operations unit
- Experience operating to and maintaining ISO standards
- Adept at budgets and P & L accountability
- Operational excellence in line with agreed quality and governance processes
- Monitor and lead legal, safeguarding, risk assessment, H & Safety, data protection, and EDI operationally
- Drives a positive culture, highly focused on people and living and promoting the values of Age Well East
- Developing commissioning and grant income awards from NHS and Local Government (major contracts)
- Contract management inclusive of sub-contractors and matrix leadership with partner organisations
- Able to develop major contracts from the ground-up
- Delivery of the five-year business plan, partnering closely with the CEO and Head of Support Services
Scope for Head of Operations
- Two operations managers initially
- 25 employees rising to 40 by April 2022
- 350 volunteers rising to over 600 in 2022
- P & L £750k year 1, rising
- Engagement in relevant Trustee Sub-Committees
- Deputise for the CEO as required
The Individual for Head of Operations
- Highly people focused
- Must have a growth mindset
- Able to identify, qualify, convert, monitor and manage major contracts
- Well networked in Essex in local government and the NHS (client-side)
- Very strong team player in relation to SLT working
- Strong communicator
- Cultivates internal and external relationships
- Excellent leadership qualities
- Intelligent, emotionally intelligent and highly adaptable
Skills for Head of Operations
- Degree or equivalent or experience commensurate with the role
- Higher management or professional qualification (desirable not essential)
If you are a passionate leader looking to take a high growth operation to new heights we welcome your CV and covering letter and to meet in person. We are building something special at Age Well East and we are looking for a high calibre Head of Operations to lead the frontline team.
We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
Age Well East supports and empowers individuals to become happier and healthier.
Apply today and we look forward to discussing what we can achieve together.